What is the best pillow for neck pain?
Anyone who has suffered from neck pain knows just how much it affects everyday life. From routine tasks such as driving and buying groceries, to more relaxing activities like walking the dogs and watching television, neck pain is there through it all.
Made up of muscles, tendons, cartilage and just seven small bones, the neck has to work hard all day to keep four or five kilograms of head upright and in position. But to do that successfully – and without pain – it needs to be well-supported with the right pillow through the night.
Choosing the right pillow allows the neck is properly supported while offering a comfortable sleep position to improve sleep quality. This should help to reduce neck pain and any strain that leads to a stiff neck, to provide the best possible night’s sleep, and a much more enjoyable, pain-free day.
How To Choose The Right Pillow
Finding the best pillows for neck pain – or even the best pillows for neck pain and headaches – means thinking about the way you sleep. Whether you tend to sleep on your back, your side or your stomach, it’s important to find the pillow that suits your sleep style.
- Side Sleepers: If you sleep on your side, a higher pillow such as the TEMPUR Original Pillow is best. This type of pillow allows the head and neck to be aligned with the shoulders as they would be when standing with good posture.
- Back Sleepers: If you sleep on your back, a low pillow that offers raised support for the neck, such as the TEMPUR Millennium Pillow is best.
- Stomach Sleepers: If you sleep on your stomach, it’s best to choose a flat pillow, such as the TEMPUR Ombracio Pillow, to reduce the strain caused by arching of the back when sleeping in this position.
When choosing the best pillow for neck pain, it’s also important to think about the type of filling. Some pillow fillings provide more support, remaining comfortable over a longer period of time.
- Memory Foam: Memory foam pillows adjust to the shape of the head and neck, providing excellent comfort and support, while reducing neck pain. Opt for TEMPUR memory foam pillows over generic options, as these offer the durability needed to return to shape over the long-term.
- Latex: Similar to memory foam pillows, latex pillows can offer plenty of support for neck pain sufferers, but can become compacted and uncomfortable over time.
- Goose Down or Feather: Soft, long-lasting and easy to shape, down is a popular, if expensive option. A feather filling can be more affordable, but both options may not be a good choice for someone with down allergies.
- Synthetic: Synthetic or polyester fillings can be good for mixed sleepers, but tend not to be long-lasting.
- Microfibre: Light, airy and low maintenance, microfibre pillows are a synthetic option offering a similar feel to a down pillow, but can come with a high price tag.
Finding The Best Pillow For Neck Pain
If you want to find the best pillow for you, while reducing neck pain or neck strain, simply follow these easy steps.
- Check neck support pillow reviews: Neck support pillow reviews can provide a great starting point in your search for a new pillow. Reviews can tell you about support options, comfort and durability.
- Try before you buy: A pillow is a very personal thing. To ensure you choose the right pillow for you, spend some time trying out the options on offer.
- Check for support: The pillow you choose should support your neck curve, and the upper part of your back and neck in the sleep position of your choice. A pillow that is too low or too high for you will cause strain on your neck muscles.
- Check for comfort: While offering the gentle support you need, your pillow should also be as firm or as soft as you find comfortable.
- Look for quality: When it comes to top rated cervical pillows – also known as orthopaedic pillows – quality and price often go hand in hand. Cheaper pillows tend to flatten out faster, needing to be replaced more often, while more expensive options should provide better support over a longer period.
- Find out how to sleep on a pillow for neck pain: Once you get your pillow home, you should find out how to sleep on a pillow for neck pain. This should ensure you get the most out of your purchase.
- Know when to replace your pillow: When your pillow breaks down, it stops offering the support you need. To avoid having to replace your pillow on a regular basis, opt for a durable option with a long-lasting warranty, such as those on offer at TEMPUR.
Check the Tempur pillow range to find the best pillow for you.