Firm or Soft Mattress: Which is Better?
In our TEMPUR Sleep Blog, we have discussed the benefits of sleep on many an occasion. So, in this post, we thought we’d take a closer look at what you can do to improve your sleep with regards to mattress firmness.
While everyone has their preference regarding mattress softness or firmness, if your mattress is too soft or too firm it may be affecting the way you sleep. Whether you’re not getting enough sleep, whether you’re missing out on good quality sleep, or whether you’re waking up feeling unrested or sore, your mattress softness – or firmness – could be the underlying cause.
The solution? It’s time to look more closely at mattress firmness and what it means to you. In this post, we’ll look at the various factors to consider when weighing up firm or soft mattress options, as well as different mattress types and what they can offer in terms of comfort and support.
Factors To Consider
If you’re unsure about how firm or soft you want your mattress to be, here are some factors to consider.
- Firm vs. Soft Mattress for Body Type: Whether you are large, small, or completely average, your body type will affect the level of support you need from your mattress.
- Firm vs. Soft Mattress for Back Pain: In the past, very firm mattresses were often recommended for those with back pain. However, some research* has shown that those with lower back pain who sleep on very firm mattresses have the poorest sleep. On the other hand, sleeping on a mattress that is too soft may not provide enough support, leading to aches and pains through the night. If you have back pain, mattress firmness should be of the highest priority.
- Firm vs. Soft for Sleep Temperature: While the firmness of your mattress will not affect its ability to redistribute heat, if you sleep hot or cold, this is something you should consider when comparing mattress types.
- Firm vs. Soft for Sleep Position: The firmness of a mattress can work well for some sleep positions and badly for others. When considering your mattress options, be sure to test it out in your natural sleep position. If you feel pressure on certain areas of your body, the mattress may be too firm for you.
- Firm vs. Soft Mattress for Budget: The firmness of a mattress will not affect its cost. However, it’s worth remembering that opting for cheaper options will likely mean it will not retain its firmness – or support – over the long term.
Springs, Latex or Foam?
When considering mattress firmness, it’s a good idea to look into the various mattress materials on offer. Trying to decide whether a latex mattress, spring mattress or foam mattress will offer the level of comfort and support you need? Let’s look at the pros and cons of each.
Spring mattresses tend to be cheaper, offering a cooler sleep to those who sleep hot, with no break-in period to worry about. However, they can be prone to sagging, they may not distribute weight evenly, they need to be flipped and rotated regularly, and over the longer term they can get noisy.
Latex mattresses can offer comfort and support to those who suffer from back pain, providing great motion isolation, while lasting well over the long term. All-natural latex mattresses are also eco-friendly (being biodegradable). However, latex mattresses can be too firm for some, they can suffer from indentation issues, they can sleep hot, and they can be heavy to move.
Memory foam mattresses can offer excellent comfort and support, relieving pressure points to alleviate back pain, while remaining durable over time. However, some inferior foam mattresses can sleep hot, and may not always spring back to their original position.
TEMPUR vs. Memory Foam
When looking at the various merits of memory foam, it’s important to remember not all memory foam is the same. Made from unique TEMPUR Material, TEMPUR mattresses do not suffer from the same flaws as inferior memory foam mattresses.
With millions invested each year to continuously improve their formula and innovate new products, TEMPUR truly is in a league of its own. Here’s why:
- Using years of experience, TEMPUR Material has been developed to alleviate tension in painful areas of the body during sleep. In fact, it has been widely adopted in medical institutions around the world due to its proven pressure relieving properties.
- While some memory foam can be hot to sleep on due to its dense cell structure, TEMPUR Material features an open cell structure, which allows it to breathe, and for heat to escape efficiently.
- Most memory foam products cannot be cleaned, including TEMPUR Material. However, every current TEMPUR mattress features a removable washable cover for easy cleaning.
- Some memory foam users complain their mattress is too firm to sleep on. TEMPUR Material, on the other hand, has been designed to react to body temperature, so that it constantly supports sleep throughout the night.
- In terms of durability, ordinary memory foam mattresses break down over time. But, with a 10-year guarantee, TEMPUR mattresses offer long-lasting quality you can count on.
What is the best mattress? Is it soft or is it firm? That’s really up to you. But if you’re looking for comfort, support and durability, TEMPUR should be your first port of call. If you want to find out more about TEMPUR mattresses, or test one out for yourself, head to a TEMPUR stockist to get all the help you need in choosing a mattress.