How to sleep well if you… are a frequent traveller
Frequent travel isn’t often conducive to a relaxing, restful lifestyle – late nights, early mornings, hectic schedules and an array of uncomfortable seats would leave anyone longing for their own bed
However, there is no reason to let the stress and take over and stop you from switching off and resting.
Here are TEMPUR’s top tips to help frequent travellers get a good night’s sleep.
While you are travelling
If you are a frequent traveller, there are some things you can do to help you relax when travelling and also prepare your body to sleep better when you return home.
• Get your body used to a flexible schedule – Before you leave try to avoid rigid eating and sleeping times so you can gradually get used to a varied schedule comfortably.
• Get as much sunlight as you can – Exposing yourself to sunlight helps regulate your body clock which will help your body to feel tired when the light is taken away and you are ready to sleep.
• Keep yourself rested while you are away – Staying up or trying to beat jetlag isn’t always the best idea. Try to keep yourself as rested as possible to avoid overtiredness when you return.
• Get yourself the right accessories – Being as comfortable as possible while travelling will keep you relaxed, so investing in a TEMPUR transit pillow and sleep mask will be sure to improve any journey.
Getting back into your normal routine is the key to helping your body forget the stresses of travel.
So make sure you:
• Relax – When you get home don’t rush to get straight into bed and will yourself to fall asleep. Take some time to relax, read a book or take a long bath and unwind before sleep.
• Exercise – Some gentle exercise or stretches can lower stress levels and prepare your body for an improved quality of sleep.
• Avoid caffeinated drinks – Drinking coffee or energy drink to keep you going throughout the day can have a negative impact when you are trying to switch off. Caffeine can last between 8-14 hours in your body so it is best to avoid it when you need to sleep.
• Prepare your room – Keeping your room as dark as possible when you are trying to sleep will help. If you are struggling to switch off try introducing some white noise and lower the temperature – using a fan is perfect for both of these.
• Return to a comfortable bed – TEMPUR believes there is a perfect mattress for everyone and coming home to yours will result in a peaceful sleep. Take a look at our guide to finding the right mattress for your body type to see which one may be best for you.
After you’ve finished travelling round the globe, your TEMPUR mattress will be there to welcome you back.
What are your experiences of sleeping when returning from travelling? Let us know your stories below…